I have a passion for working moms. I’m one myself. Whether your a stay at home or an 8-5 mom we all are doing our best. Wouldn’t it be great if dinner just showed up and was homemade?
This pot roast is great for the ending of winter. It’s warm and cozy, perfect next to a cracklings fire at night. I could fall asleep just thinking about it. Remove the bread (I may cry) and potatoes and it can be considered KETO. I would replace them with more carrots or celery. I’m trying to stay away from sugars but wow, it’s hard!
Nonetheless, let’s start this day with an easy evening!
Confession: I have tried in the past skipping the browning of the meat to save me another pan to wash (and 10 minutes) but, unfortunately, you can’t. It’s necessary for a good crisp taste.
NOW! Here is a good trick. Braise in a cast iron pot (both sides). Add seasonings and broth. Cook at 275 degrees for at least 2 hours with the lid on. Do you know what that means?? ONE POT WONDER!!
OR! Throw it into the slow cooker BEFORE WORK, browned with all the fixings. Literally, just throw it in and GO.
Add carrots, potatoes, onion. Mix it up however you feel, with celery or cauliflower too.
Add spices and stock.
I feel strongly that all pot roast must have a crusty piece of sourdough with it. I like to make a roast sandwich, mmmm.
Hearty Pot Roast
- slow cooker
- or only a cast iron pan (to braise and cook)
- 3 lb Chuck Roast or Butt Roast
- 1 tsp seasoned salt
- 4 beef bouillon cubes
- 1 can french onion soup
- 2 tsp tomato paste
- 4 large carrots cut medium length diagnoally
- 4 small potatoes
- 1 tbsp onion powder
- 1 tbsp sage
- 2 large pinches red pepper
- 1 tsp salt and pepper
- In a warm skillet (or cast iron pot), heat oil. Braise sides of roast. Sprinkle salt and pepper. Sides will be done when you see seared marks.
- Place roast with fat side up inside crockpot (or continue to cook in cast iron pot). Add bouillon cubes, french onion soup, tomato paste, carrots, potatoes, and 4 cups of broth.
- Stir in onion powder, sage, and red pepper. Add salt and pepper. Cook for at least 6 hours. If cooking in a cast iron pot, place lid on, bake for 275 degrees for 2 hours. Add a crusty piece of bread 🙂